The quince, of Asian origin, is one of the Rosaceae family bush quite measure up to 4 meters high. Its trunk is twisted and has a rough bark that comes off in plates.
Its leaves are oval petiolate, green and lanosoblanquecinas by the beam on the underside.
As for the flowers, they are of a pink and yellow.
Its fruit, quince, usually measuring 10-12 cm are yellowish or greenish and covered with a kind of fluff that usually disappears in adulthood. It can be eaten raw, roasted or cooked into jam, jelly, quince paste, etc.
The quince has historically been a symbol of fertility and love. This is due perhaps to the fact that, in Greece, the "golden apples" were devoted to the goddess of love, Aphrodite.
Quince contains malic acid, tannin, pectin and its seeds are mucilaginous.
This fruit is ideal when you want to lose weight, because he has no fresh fat and contains only 29 calories per 100 grams. However, when making the candy quince, can significantly increase their calories up to a total of more than 400 per 100 grams.
For its astringent properties, it is recommended raw consumption in case of diarrhea. It is also effective to combat mental and physical exhaustion states, as well as anemia, and whets the appetite for people who are poor "eaters" and children.
Furthermore, quince stimulates the liver, cuts vomiting and is a fruit that helps to deflate, it contains malic acid, a substance which gives a slightly bitter flavor to quince and gives a disinfectant property, favoring the elimination of uric acid per this fight gout.
Because quince provides potassium, is very suitable for people suffering from hypertension, diseases in blood vessels or heart padeçam.
Home Remedies with Quince
- Boil 1 teaspoon of tea quince seeds, for 10 minutes in 1/4 gallon of water. Remove from heat and let cool. Place this infusion, using a cotton ball around the injured nipples.
- Place 1 and chopped fresh quince in a blender with a little water. Mix briefly. Take this juice three times a day, to stop the diarrhea.
- Apply the pulp of roasted quince and cold on the affected area, will soothe the pain and shrink the tumor.
- Macere a handful of quince seeds in warm water for two days until it becomes like a syrup. Then strain and add 20% of rose water. Apply to hair.
- Eat a roast quince daily thus facilitate expectoration.
Recipe with quince
Quince in syrup
- 2 quinces
- 1 cinnamon branch
- 5 grams anise
- 150 grams of sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 glass of red wine
- 1 teaspoon anise liqueur
- 1 lemon
Peel the quinces, remove the central part and the corners of each. Chop into large slices and store drizzled with a little lemon juice.
Prepare the syrup. For this cook for five minutes, the water along with the wine, anise liqueur, cinnamon and sugar. Add the quinces, resuming cooking until tender, without allowing unraveling.
Add a little more water if the sauce thickens too much until you get the desired consistency. Let cool and serve as dessert.
Acquiring quince that have not been tapped and which is mature and well yellows.
Keep for several days in the refrigerator.