How to Get a Small Business License in Oregon

27-05-2017 scottyxD

If you plan to start a small business in this state, you must follow some basic rules to run in federal, state and local them can be accomplished online.

Things you need

Number of federal employer identification

Application for license


Cash for fees


Contact the Internal Revenue Service of the United States and obtain an EIN, or Employer Identification Number. You will need this number for all purposes related to taxation. Visit and "click" on the link titled "Enterprise" and select the "Employer ID Numbers." "Click" the link "Apply for an EIN online" to complete the free application.

Apply for an Oregon business license by visiting the link "Business -. Start or expand" Select the link "Business Assistant" to start the online license application. Depending on the type of business you plan to use, you may need to register for the specific tax identification in addition to the EIN Federal. The application process will alert you if necessary.

Pay the filing of the registration of the license at the end of the application. Although fees vary depending on the type of business, the starting rate is $ 50 as of May 2010.

Consult the clerk of courts for your city or county local government to determine whether you need to apply for permits or additional licenses. This can include health permits or zone and a permit signal if you plan to erect a billboard sign or advertising your business. There will be a fee to obtain these permits and the price depends on the town or city in which you do business.

Tips & Warnings

When you start your new business, please remember that the IRS requires you to keep records of employment taxes for a period of four years.

Always keep a copy of all documents involved in starting your new business.

Starting a new business can be a complex legal issue. Be sure to consult a tax professional employment or Oregon Department of Revenue to ensure that you follow all procedures accurately. Unless you are completely comfortable with your actions, hire a professional accountant or lawyer to help you get started correctly.