Have you ever wondered how you can save some money on a barbecue? Well one way that you can do that is by making your own barbecue sauce. Homemade barbecue sauce is a great way to not only personalize your next barbecue, but to experiment too. In fact, just about any cook worth their salt has its own "specialist" barbecue sauce. Some can be as complex as adding a few special ingredients to an existing or premade barbecue sauce to make everything from scratch. In the end it does not really matter how the barbecue sauce is made; which is important if you like it or not. The only way you can figure that out is by experimenting. Here is a simple tomato-based barbecue sauce that you can use to start your experiments.
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-1 / 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire suace
- Cook vegetables. Coat the bottom of a large saucepan, or even a pot with non-stick cooking spray and begin the chopped onions and garlic cook. Use a low or medium-low heat to ensure that there is no combustion. Continue to cook the vegetables until they are soft enough to cut with a spoon have become.
- Ingredients and allow to simmer. Add remaining ingredients and mix everything together. Allow the mixture to a low boil come and let them simmer for about 30 minutes. Make sure you have the sauce stir regularly to avoid any burning or scorching.
- Refrigerator. Remove the sauce from the stove and cover. Place the sauce in the refrigerator and let it sit for at least two days before you use it. Ideally, it will allow the mixture to sit for three days in order to fully integrate the ingredients and develop.
- To use. Once you're done so to mix the sauce, just use it as a marinade or brush it on the meat you're cooking.
This recipe is a very basic one, and can be easily adapted to your personal taste. For example, if you would like to have a sweeter sauce, you can just add a little honey or brown sugar. Another option that you can use is to make a "Whiskey barbecue" by adding a small amount to your recipe. Ideally, for this kind of a bourbon sauce you want to use because of its high sugar content. While not strictly "Whiskey" barbecue sauce, it can still be referred to as such.